Saturday, June 13, 2015

Taking a break in Denver

Hiking the PCT has gone well, but it's time to focus on our eldest son's upcoming wedding. I reached Old Station, California (PCT mile 1377) and hitched into Redding, California, where I took an Amtrak train north to Oregon to visit my father and my brother. On Thursday June 11 I flew to Denver where I was happily reunited with Dory and both sons - the family is reunited!

I've enjoyed hiking this latest section, although there have been quite a few blow-downs which slowed me down considerably. One highlight was reaching Mt Lassen and the Drakesbad Guest Ranch. It was the last night before they opened for the season. I arrived as they were serving dinner in a final dress rehearsal. I was given a glass of wine and a wedge salad, followed by prime rib and caramel cake for desert, all gratis! The manager said he thinks their guests like being inspired by PCT hikers. We followed this by a hot shower and a swim in the thermally heated pool.

A beautiful section of trail.

a random note, very sweet

A meadow along the trail

South of Mt Lassen

Ukelele playing along the trail

Passing through a burned section from a previous forest fire.

Looking back on Mt Lassen

No comments:

Post a Comment