Saturday, July 11, 2015

Hot - and cold, July 10


The last section I completed, with Kit, was hot, and as I resumed hiking solo it remained hot. As in 85-100 deg F. That kind of heat really sapped my energy, and it wasn't easier with big miles I needed to clock. 
I made plans to meet dad at Willamette Pass on July 8, not figuring until later that this entailed 183 miles in 8 days. So I had to make 3 days with 27+ miles per day. This really sapped my energy and I found myself wondering why I was killing myself out here.  After Crater Lake I slowed down to 20 mpd, and this was better, but it's been a rough patch of trail for Papa Razi!
In crater lake I saw two girls I remembered  from earlier. They didn't recognize me until I said my trail name. 'You know Papa Razi?' They asked. 'I AM Papa Razi' I responded, and they hadn't recognized me at all. 
On July 10 I made the 20 miles into Elk Lake in 8 hours in pouring rain. Not pleasant. I'm recuperating in bend for a few days with her and thinking "why don't I just go home now?" But I have more of Oregon I need to see so I'll keep soldiering on. 
Trail south of McLoughlan

My Theilson

Rosary lakes

My camp 

Coffee in Bend during rain storm


No comments:

Post a Comment