Saturday, April 4, 2015

Orientation

A new adventure
Hiking for days at a time
Was I here before?

Orientation
I leave in a week to begin my attempt at through hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I'm a little anxious.
The gear is mostly assembled, the food plans are in place, but still, it's a big deal to me.

I've done this before - not a long hike, but various climbing expeditions, career changes, moves from one continent to another - so I should have some familiarity with putting my self in a new, possibly uncomfortable situation. Still, come to think of it, I had anxiety then as well.

A friend once said that the hardest part of any climb is getting to the point where it's easier to go forward than to bail. That's always been true for me. With that in mind I am looking forward to passing that first point, somewhere in Southern California, where I think Gee, this isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Once I've passed that point I should be good to go. Barring unforeseen, uh, stuff happening.

None of this would be possible without the support of my lovely wife Dory, who is showing more-than-usual patience and has been encouraging even when it might not be her first choice.

There are more tasks to completed - on to the next thing!

2 comments:

  1. You married a good woman there Dave. I've been fortunate in my life partner as well. Without the support I get I could not do a lot of the adventures that I have done.

    Happy hiking and trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck PCT Dave2015. Don't forget to take a few photos.

    ReplyDelete