Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sept 7 It's a new day


Elevation gain 2376'
Mile 760
19 miles

I woke up hoping I'd be feeling better and in fact I felt great. When I started hiking uphill I was fine. No staggering 100' and collapsing! I think this problem was an acclimatization problem, and yesterday's rest helped. 

I hiked over to trail pass (a possible escape route) and decided to continue on. I have food for the next 150 miles IF I can make 18 mile days. But I've learned that it's much more practical at these elevations to make 15 miles. Without enough food to make VVR I'll have to get off trail at Kearsarge Pass. 

There are more hikers than I've seen in a long time. They all tell me that smoke from forest fires is closing Forester Pass. By the time I reach Rock Creek it's clear I can't go on. But this time it's not my fault!

So I still have 5 days of food, the ranger said I could explore this area, and it's stunning. I think I'll just take a few days and not worry about making my miles. 

I'm camped near a couple of fellows and we have a nice chat around a campfire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment