Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sept 8 Exploring off the PCT

About 3.5 miles
About 700' vertical gain

Last night I talked with other hikers nearby. Although we had each heard from independent sources that the trail was closed at Forester, our local ranger insists it is open. But she also says it's miserable and that roads are closed, so even if I went through I might not be in a better spot. 

I decided to walk back towards Horseshoe meadows, a spot where I can catch a ride north. But in the meantime I'm camping and exploring along the way.

The ranger was kind of cranky, which I suppose is understandable at the end of the season. She blamed Wild (the movie and book) for a noticeable increase in stupid hiking mishaps. She says they have had quite a few rescues of people making mistakes because of ignorance. Its weird, after almost 4 months of daily hiking, of needing and wanting to get my miles in, to be taking a break. I don't quite know what to do with myself. 

I've set up camp, taken  few dozen pictures, am writing this blog and I still feel like I need to learn how tone present in this beautiful place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment